CalPERS – Managing Investment Director – Sustainable Investment Program – JC-88447
Our Sustainable Investment Program is currently seeking a Managing Investment Director to provide comprehensive and centralized Total Fund leadership, coordination and delivery of the CalPERS Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) strategic agenda and drive our CalPERS mission. Duties include but are not limited to:
• Oversee all Investment Office research, development and coordination of ESG investment policies with the CalPERS Investment Committee, the Investment Office Investment Strategy Group and Governance & Sustainability Subcommittee, and Investment Office Senior investment leadership.
• Ensures fiduciary and investment outcome considerations, grounded in economics, are paramount in the creation and prioritization of the Sustainable Investments / ESG work plan. Responsible for the execution of the ESG strategic agenda through reviewing, focusing, and prioritizing ESG topics and ad hoc requests from stakeholders (e.g. Board, Chief Executive Officer, Senior Investment Office staff, other external stakeholders).
• Responsible for communicating to the Investment Office and the Enterprise on relevant and emerging ESG issues, topics, and research and ensure the understanding of ESG factors relevant to risk and return specific to CalPERS’ Investment Beliefs and objectives as CalPERS carries out its ESG-related activities (portfolio positioning, proxy voting / corporate engagement, etc.). Actively engage in defining the Investment Office’s Federal Investment Priorities, and providing recommendations to the internal bodies regarding specific federal legislative and regulatory engagement.
• Investment background, experience, and acumen, with direct responsibility for one or more functions in the investment management chain (research, portfolio management, trading or other), with particular emphasis in sustainable investing expertise.
• Quantitative Knowledge – Mastery of quantitative financial/economic modeling tools, markets, data sources and practices. Evidence of the requisite level of expertise may include advanced degree(s) in relevant categories, authoring practitioner and/or academic publications, or responsibility for the design and implementation of significant projects or activity.
• Leadership – The ability to assemble, organize and motivate a team. Leadership skills may be demonstrated by relevant experience.
• Collaborate - A comfort and appreciation for operating in a team and consensus driven environment is a key aspect underlying success in the CalPERS environment.
• Communicate – The ability to communicate investment related ideas and information in a wide array of venues and to audiences with varying degrees of financial sophistication, is a primary requirement.
• Commitment to CalPERS’ core values, including Quality, Respect, Accountability, Integrity, Openness and Balance.
To view the position’s duty statement and how to apply to this employment opportunity, click here