Managing Director, Business Development
Position Title: Managing Director, Business Development
Supervisor: Managing Director, Region Head, Central and West Region
Summary: This is a regional business development position covering nonprofits including endowments, foundations, pension funds, family offices and other institutional market segments. The business development officer will be responsible for selling both Outsourced Chief Investment Office (OCIO) solutions as well as private capital strategies spanning venture capital, private equity and private natural resources. Ideal candidate has strong consultative selling skills with track record of success in institutional sales.
- Develop new business in the Central Region from initial research and prospecting through closing and hand- off to service/ relationship team. Achieve specific asset raise and new client targets annually.
- Use consultative selling approach in working with multiple decision makers to identify needs, probe for objections and offer solutions. Actively engage with prospective investors across all aspects of their Investment Policy Statement, offering insight and guidance.
- Lead finals pitches to investment committees, effectively integrating investment team colleagues and other resources as appropriate.
- Develop and implement a specific sales plan for the assigned territory, leveraging the full resources of Commonfund.
- Maintain prospecting base of 300-500 institutions, and maintain active contact as foundation for pipeline.
- Maintain active pipeline of opportunities and follow disciplined sales approach to advancing opportunities along sales cycle.
- Maintain record-keeping through CRM system regarding current client and prospect pipeline, sales activities, and client contact information.
- Increase Commonfund’s visibility within all market segments through Commonfund sponsored events as well as industry and association presentations and participation.
- Travel approximately 50-70% of the time.
- Four-year college degree with advanced degree or CAIA,CFA designation preferred
- 10 years proven track record in institutional sales with strong knowledge of endowment and foundation market a plus
- Series 7, 63, 31 licenses, or to be obtained within 90 days of employment
- Solid understanding of investment strategies and portfolio management
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Excellent and well developed presentation skills
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to excellence
- Desire to work in team environment with a strong work ethic
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as CRM system