Counsel – Tax Aware Strategies
About AQR Capital Management
AQR is a global investment firm built at the intersection of financial theory and practical application. We strive to deliver concrete, long-term results by looking past market noise to identify and isolate the factors that matter most, and by developing ideas that stand up to rigorous testing. By putting theory into practice, we have become a leader in alternative strategies and an innovator in traditional portfolio management since 1998.
At AQR, our employees share a common spirit of academic excellence, intellectual honesty and an unwavering commitment to seeking the truth. We’re determined to know what makes financial markets tick – and we’ll ask every question and challenge every assumption. We recognize and respect the power of collaboration and believe transparency and openness to new ideas leads to innovation.
AQR’s Legal Team partners with internal groups to support the firm’s broad diversified platform of strategies and products.
Reporting directly to AQR’s Chief Legal Officer and/or Senior Counsel, you will be based in AQR’s Greenwich, CT headquarters and be responsible for:
- Advising AQR’s product and investment teams regarding the design and implementation of AQR’s tax aware funds and strategies from a US tax perspective
- Advising AQR’s business units regarding the marketing of AQR’s tax aware products from a US tax perspective
- Collaborating extensively with internal teams (legal, compliance, risk, operations) on all matters
- Maintaining a high level of expertise in US tax law, AQR’s business and the investment industry.
- Directing and managing the work being performed by outside counsel
- Participating in special projects and performing other duties as assigned
This is an excellent opportunity for a talented attorney to work in an innovative and collegial environment that encourages creativity and thoughtful problem-solving. Hours are predictable and work-life balance is highly valued.
What You’ll Bring:
- JD with an active an active license to practice and a member in good standing
- 3-5+ years at a major law firm or institutional asset manager
- Knowledge of tax issues related to investments and tax aware products
- Demonstrated experience supporting business teams/clients
- Excellent oral and written communication, negotiation, and project management skills
- Sound judgment with ability to work as both a team member and leader
Who You Are:
- Committed to intellectual curiosity and integrity, with high ethical standards
- Mature and thoughtful, with the ability to operate within a collaborative, team-oriented culture as well as operate independently
- Hard working and eager to learn in a highly intellectual, innovative environment
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task and keep track of competing deadlines
- Confident, self-starting, entrepreneurial, creative, with a pragmatic, results-driven orientation
- Excellent communicator (verbal and written); able to communicate complex ideas in a simple, succinct and understandable fashion
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO/VET/DISABILITY
The salary range for this role is expected to be $175,000 to $215,000. This is the range that we in good faith believe is accurate for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, depending upon factors such as skills, experience, location, or other business and organizational needs. This wage range may also be modified in the future.
This job is also eligible for an annual discretionary bonus.
We offer comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), and any other benefits to eligible employees.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.