Director, Business Development
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
You are a self-starting, highly analytical, outcome-oriented problem solver who makes decisions and acts on them quickly with a high sense of urgency. You possess strong communication and interpersonal skills and have experience working in fast-paced growth environments. You have in-depth experience designing, pitching, closing, implementing and managing business development partnerships in the SaaS, FinTech, HR, Healthcare and Technology sectors. You are a smart, business savvy builder with strong strategic chops that will carry the ball over the finish line.
As a Director of Business Development, you will be responsible for developing and executing strategic partnerships with the Accounting, FinTech, VC/Private Equity and Brokerage community through affiliate and deeper programs designed to drive adoption of Justworks platform in the SMB segment. This hands-on position will own the strategy, development and execution of our Business Development platforms.
What You Will Work On
- Develop BD program channels for Accounting and Advisory, Insurance Broker, and Investment Firm partner channels including:
- Program design
- Deal structure
- Program channel implementation road-maps (with input from revenue ops and sales)
- Quota definition for each program channel
- Business terms
- Contract development
- Sales compensation & CAC planning
- Partner program assignments (in partnership with our sales organization)
- Identify additional channels to pursue and develop a strategy accordingly
- Drive and lead and annual strategic planning process while defining objectives for your function
- Develop insights on partner priorities and competitive intel
- Internally vet each channel program for success working with the Sales, Business Ops, Product and Marketing teams
- Bring BD programs to market, pitching, closing and implementing for maximum deal flow and quality
- Lead and manage team of BD channel managers to scale programs
- Develop BD programming and resources with the Marketing team
- Manage an expanding stable of BD partnerships, ensuring partner satisfaction and performance
- Drive measurable increases in the number of leads and paying customers BD partnerships generates over time
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Director of Business Development, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Detail-oriented - exercises extreme attention to detail; is thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seeks to understand both the cause and effect of a situation.
- Foundational sales knowledge - the specific set of sales skills (prospecting, cold calling, nurturing, engaging, presenting, negotiating, closing etc) and knowledge (product, markets, trends, business etc) a person possesses to enact the exchange of value between a buyer and the vendor.
- Results-driven - consistently achieves results, even under difficult circumstances.
- Clear communication - the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 8 years relevant Business Development experience in Affiliate Marketing, Tech, Broker, Accounting, Healthcare and/or SaaS (preferred)
- Analytical and data management mindset
- Strong project management and execution skills
- Strong communication/presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Experience with leading a team of 10+ individuals
- Experience with working in a fast-paced, data-driven startup environment
- Financial modeling experience
- Strong negotiation skills
- Experience with working with legal on contracts
- Preferred – Experience with working for B2B SaaS company
- Preferred – Working knowledge of SQL and other programming languages
Please Note:In accordance with New York City public health requirements, and because this position requires onsite work, this position will require the successful candidate to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. As an equal opportunity employer, Justworks will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.