Director of Asset Management
Director of Asset Management Opportunity Overview
We love what we do. We love real estate. We love supporting organizations, companies and families. We love creating multiple levels of value and positively influencing the future. Do you?
The Director of Asset Management is an opportunity to:
- Continue growing a third-party Asset Management business line
- Lead and grow a team
- Manage an existing relationship and 16-asset portfolio on behalf of an affiliated company
- Integrate Asset Management within Heartland’s broader business model
About Heartland LLC
Heartland is a Seattle-based real estate advisory and investment firm with over 35 years of experience creating value for clients, including families and family-owned businesses, non-profit organizations, corporations, and real estate development, investment and operating companies. Heartland combines strategy development and analytical rigor with execution capabilities in real estate brokerage, asset management, capital markets, and development services to positively impact the communities, organizations and families with whom we work. In 2019, Heartland merged with Laird Norton Properties (“LNP”) to create a unique, multi-faceted and fully integrated business and real estate enterprise.
Heartland, on behalf of Laird Norton Properties (“LNP”), the real estate division of Laird Norton Company, a seven-generation family enterprise, provides comprehensive asset management services for the company’s 16-asset, ~2M square foot multifamily and office portfolio across 5 markets: Seattle, Boise, Salt Lake City, Denver and Portland. Heartland focuses on mitigating risk and unlocking value within the existing portfolio and is also responsible for identifying and executing new opportunities to grow and diversify LNP’s portfolio.
Building New Relationships
Building upon the relationship with LNP, Heartland is focused on growing a third-party asset management vertical within our diverse practice and is looking for a team member who is excited to manage a key existing relationship and portfolio and build out the asset portfolio management business.
The Director of Asset Management will be responsible for:
- Continuing to build-out the third-party Asset Management business within Heartland.
- Collaborating with Heartland partners to appropriately integrate the third-party Asset Management business within the organization.
- Actively managing the LNP client relationship.
- Actively overseeing the management of LNP’s portfolio of multifamily and office assets to develop strategy, optimize cash flow, and enhance value; including acquisitions, dispositions, and re-capitalizations.
Specifically, duties include, but are not limited to:
- Team management, development and mentoring
- Internal business planning, systems, structure, reporting and process
- Client relationship management
- Business development
- Client portfolio strategy development and implementation
- Collaborate with acquisitions teams
- Lead and/or collaborate on refinance and other capitalizations
- Third-party vendor high-level relationship management
- Oversight of Asset Management Team’s day-to day activities, including but not limited to:
- Asset business plans
- R&M and capital improvements
- Financial analysis, projections and oversight
- Investor reporting
- Debt compliance and reporting
- Business planning, strategy, and transaction management
Key Skills & Competencies
- Business development and relationship-building
- Team management and personnel development
- In-depth knowledge of real estate finance including underwriting, valuation, and debt and equity structures
- Knowledge of and familiarity with real estate-related and property accounting
- Able to successfully work in a team-oriented environment and partner with internal colleagues, external suppliers, and cross-functional groups
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- High comfort level with the technology used to aid in collaboration, communication, and documentation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of Excel including building templates for other users
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Argus, Yardi, Kardin and Sharepoint
Educational & Professional Experience Requirements
- 8-10 years of commercial real estate experience with a focus on asset management activities including strategy, leasing, financing, property accounting, managing improvements, capital investments, and dispositions
- Experience managing a range of asset types, including: multifamily, office and industrial
- Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate, Finance, Accounting or related field
- Knowledge of the Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, Denver and Boise markets is particularly useful
Our ideal candidate(s) will have a strong compatibility with Heartland culture in terms of intellectual curiosity, team-oriented nature, problem-solving capacity, desire to learn new skills as projects demand, a focus on high-quality work product, and ability to work in a fluid, fast-paced environment.
- Passion for what we do
- High level of integrity
- Proactive self-starter with ability to both take direction and also set own action plan
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and meet delivery deadlines
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within teams
- Ability to probe, ask the right questions, and dig beneath the surface to test the validity of information
- Ability to think critically, solve problems and make well-reasoned business decisions
- Strong work ethic
- Interdisciplinary capabilities
- Desire to work with clients
- Superior attention to detail
- Ability to focus on a variety of tasks simultaneously
- Strong self-motivation
- Team orientation
Reporting, Supervisory & Collaboration Responsibilities
- Reports to Heartland Principal
- Manages Heartland asset management team
- Manages relationships with third-party vendors (brokers, property management teams), etc.
- Collaborates with internal project teams
- Collaborates with client leadership and personnel
Market appropriate; experience and skills considered, comprehensive benefits package included.
Travel required to appropriately cover relationships, the assets and the markets.
Location & Hybrid Work Policy
This is a full-time position based in Seattle, Washington.
Heartland currently has a hybrid work policy, which includes the ability to work remotely within the State of Washington and an expectation of 2-3 days in office with clients and internal teams, site visits, etc. within the parameters of Heartland’s COVID protocols as well as applicable law. The hybrid work policy will continue to evolve over time.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
Heartland has an employee vaccination policy in effect and, if hired, any applicant must provide appropriate evidence of full vaccination prior to the agreed upon employment start date, subject to any applicable religious or medical exemptions required by applicable law.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Efforts
We are an equal opportunity employer. We recognize that our mission and values are best advanced by the leadership and contributions of individuals of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our region’s diversity is a priority, and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status, or other status protected by law.
As advisors by trade, we know that innovative solutions emerge from unique perspectives, experiences and identities. As such, our team and our partners are our life force. We encourage employees to get involved and to feel comfortable voicing their opinions and sharing their ideas; our goal is for everyone to feel and be heard, included and acknowledged. To that end, we are committed to continue working to become a more diverse, equitable and inclusive organization. We know it is a journey and while we may not get it right all the time, we are committed to listening and learning in order to effect change in our organization and beyond.
Application Process & Contact Information
Applications shall include the following:
- Cover Letter
Applications should be sent via email to: Carrie Christensen, Operations Manager firstname.lastname@example.org.