Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Analyst
Boston Trust Walden Company Overview
Boston Trust Walden Company is an independent, employee-owned firm that provides investment management services to institutional investors and private wealth clients. The firm manages approximately $15 billion in client assets.
Boston Trust Walden distinguishes itself in several keyways, including:
- stable, diversified business model serving a variety of client types.
- compelling investment philosophy and excellent track record.
- longstanding leadership in ESG impact investing; and
- corporate culture grounded in shared values, as signified by the company’s tagline, Principled Investing.
Located in the heart of Boston at One Beacon Street, Boston Trust Walden employs fewer than 100 individuals. Boston Trust Walden’s structure as an independent, employee-owned firm enables the firm to make business decisions that align with clients and employees for long-term success. The firm’s structure and size help cultivate a collegial work environment where employees have ownership of their work, contribute to positive client outcomes, and are rewarded for their efforts.
One of Boston Trust Walden’s strategic priorities is to foster a positive workplace; this includes a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The firm believes this commitment is not only the right thing to do but also a matter of good governance and a critical component of long-term business success. When DEI values are infused into the workplace, the company and its employee’s benefit. The firm is committed to taking meaningful steps to advance racial, ethnic, and gender equity in its workplace through retention, education, and recruitment initiatives.
Boston Trust Walden Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Boston Trust Walden is committed to supporting equal employment opportunity and to promoting a workplace free of discrimination with regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, genetic information, ancestry, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, parental status, marital status, veteran/US military status, pregnancy, citizenship status, or other legally protected status.
The firm will make reasonable accommodations in the application process if requested by new job applicants.
The ESG Analyst is a key member of our dynamic in-house team responsible for evaluating current and potential portfolio investments and leveraging active ownership strategies — including company engagement, proxy voting, and public policy — to advance sustainable business practices. We seek experienced and accomplished candidates with exceptional research and analytical capabilities, superior communication and relationship management skills, and the ability to effectively manage time and deliver multiple projects with keen insight and attention to detail.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- ESG Analysis. Examine and evaluate policies, practices, and performance across company operations and supply chains on a broad array of environmental, social, and governance factors, including climate risk management, human capital management, human rights and labor standards, product safety and integrity, and corporate governance for inclusion in client portfolios; collaborate with securities analysts to consider ESG factors that may financially impact companies over the long-term; monitor company ESG performance and issue-specific developments; conduct industry benchmark analyses; and assist in writing profiles of companies and issues.
- Active Ownership. Lead select initiatives and contribute to Boston Trust Walden’s active ownership strategies to advance solutions to the world’s most pressing sustainability challenges — especially in our focus areas of climate risk, equality, and governance — by engaging portfolio companies directly and collaboratively, filing shareholder resolutions, and advocating for smart public policy.
- Client Services and Business Development. Represent Boston Trust Walden’s ESG analysis (financial and values-based considerations) and active ownership expertise with clients and prospects, as well as at investor or educational events. Contribute to the development and maintenance of client-specific and public presentation materials, including quarterly impact briefs, annual publications, and other thought leadership pieces.
Education Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent direct experience; relevant graduate degree, CFA designation, and/or SASB FSA preferred.
Experience Minimum of three to five years relevant experience in the ESG field, including broad knowledge of sustainable investing, experience with company ESG analysis, and demonstrated professional success with direct company engagement.
Attributes Candidates must be curious and have exceptional research and analytical capabilities; demonstrate deft relationship management abilities; display outstanding written, editorial, and presentation skills; effectively manage time and deliver multiple projects with keen insight and attention to detail; and operate with the highest professional and ethical standards. In addition, the ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker and problem-solver with excellent interpersonal skills to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment that encourages and rewards initiative and independent work.
This is a full-time position based in Boston, MA. Boston Trust Walden operates in a hybrid manner with a mix of in-office and remote work. Specifics are dependent upon the team and should be discussed with the hiring manager.