Equity Portfolio Manager – Internal Management
The Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF), an award-winning public pension fund located in Oak Brook IL, has a newly created opening for an Equity Portfolio Manager-Internal Management. This position reports to the Chief Investment Officer and will:
- Manage multiple active quantitative equity strategies
- Develop and test quantitative models for new investment strategies
- Focus on alpha model construction, portfolio construction and risk management
- Support trading team in portfolio implementation
IMRF is seeking candidates for the Equity Portfolio Manager-Internal Management role who are highly detail oriented, creative, flexible, and enjoy working in a team environment. The successful candidate will demonstrate a strong desire to take ownership of tasks, the willingness to contribute in a variety of functional areas and the ability to work well with others while seeking to grow long-term. Given this is a new effort, the responsibilities will be diverse and require periodically working with others in a results oriented environment to formulate and implement investment strategies using various data inputs and software packages. You will apply your knowledge and experience to collaborate with other team members to develop and refine new investment strategies and products. Once formulated, the strategies will be employed on IMRF’s internal equity portfolio.
Under the guidance of the Chief Investment Officer, the Equity Portfolio Manager-Internal Management will:
- Initiate IMRF’s first internal domestic equity portfolio utilizing external data provider and external integrated brokerage
- Design and build the systems necessary to support the strategies without a formal middle/back office in-house
- Create portfolio implementation strategies using various risk budgeting techniques
- Monitor portfolio risk characteristics, model efficacy and portfolio performance attribution
- Continually conduct research and development on the refinement of current investment strategies, the implementation of new investment strategies, risk management, and portfolio construction
- Work with equity traders to implement trades generated by the investment models and monitor trading costs
- Assist with the preparation of positioning and performance summaries for distribution to the oversight boards.
- Demonstrate leadership ability with experience hiring, mentoring and managing other analytical individuals.
- Establish and maintain detailed investment management policies and procedures.
- Build proprietary alpha strategies using both standard and proprietary quantitative data sources and tools
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BS in Finance, Economics, Mathematics, Engineering or similar technical field. MS/MBA preferred.
- 7 or more years of investment experience preferred in an analytical role at a buy-side firm or as a consultant at an investment analytics firm.
- CFA designation is preferred though not required.
- Programming experience in a language such as Matlab, R, or Python
- Demonstrated leadership ability with experience hiring, mentoring and managing other analytical individuals.
OTHER COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Strong financial acumen and outstanding data handling skills.
- Ability to remain process-oriented within a time-sensitive market framework; meets deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to concisely articulate oneself.
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic with commitment to quality and accuracy.
- Flexibility to work on multiple high priority requests simultaneously.
- Desire to succeed, create, and foster a team-oriented environment.
- Capacity to learn quickly and work independently.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated success at independent analytical work.
· Generous insurance benefits, including medical and dental
· 35 hour base work week, Monday - Friday
· Death, disability, and pension retirement benefits as a member of IMRF
· Paid vacation, 12 paid holidays and 2 personal days
· Onsite amenities include health club, café and salon
· Business casual attire
· Award-winning organizational approach to performance excellence
Please submit your resume and application by Friday, June 28, 2019. Salary range - $175,000 - $225,000. We invite all interested candidates to submit their resume and cover letter here: https://chu.tbe.taleo.net/chu02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=IMRF&cws=39&rid=336
Visit our website at www.imrf.org for more information about IMRF.