ESG & Impact Investing, Associate Director/Director
CornerStone Partners, based in Charlottesville, Virginia, serves as the outsourced investment manager (OCIO) for nonprofit organizations. Our clients rely on the returns generated by their investment portfolios to fund their missions in health, education, conservation, and building and improving communities, and hire CornerStone to manage their investment program. The firm manages approximately $10 billion (as of March 31, 2021) and has 25 employees. CornerStone is a dynamic, growth-oriented firm committed to developing a diverse and equitable workforce.
The Associate Director/Director will build and lead CornerStone’s ESG & Impact Investing program, which incorporates our clients’ mission- and values-related considerations into their investment portfolios. This role includes leading investments as well as presenting to, and collaborating with, our clients. The successful candidate is passionate about the challenge of making investments that can achieve both attractive returns and social and/or environmental impact.
This position has flexibility regarding location with requirement to spend time periodically with team members in CornerStone’s Charlottesville office.
- In collaboration with the Public and Private Investment Teams, sourcing, evaluating, executing, and monitoring investments (fund investments and co-investments) that both offer attractive risk/return dynamics and provide positive social or environmental impacts.
- In collaboration with the Public and Private Investment Teams, deepening CornerStone’s ESG due diligence efforts on existing and prospective investment managers.
- In collaboration with client portfolio managers, developing a “CornerStone playbook” for leading clients through a process for them to understand and evaluate their options for incorporating their missions and values into their investment programs.
- Presenting to clients about ESG & Impact Investing topics and leading them through the “playbook” to determine their desired courses of action.
- Building a valuable professional network in the ESG & Impact Investing space that adds to CornerStone’s capabilities in both investing and client service.
- Increasing CornerStone’s visibility in the ESG & Impacting Investing marketplace to improve our brand and extend our leadership position.
Attributes of the Successful Candidate
- Proactive, entrepreneurial mindset
- Collaborative approach
- Intellectually curious
- Enjoys building relationships
- Open-minded to different viewpoints
- Willing to travel (post-COVID)
- Strong analytical abilities supporting a multidisciplinary role that includes both investment selection and client communication.
- Communicates ideas effectively in both verbal and written formats; presents to groups in a clear and engaging manner and enjoys doing so.
- Proficiency and comfort with quantitative analysis and fundamental investing; interests are consistent with CornerStone’s methodical, research-centered process for manager selection.
- Willing and able to conduct in-depth investment work.
- Skilled at building relationships with different types of people that have a range of investment expertise and hold varying views on ESG and impact investing issues.
At least 5+ years of work experience in investment management, finance, or related field.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to: Susan Holtzman, HR and Finance Associate (email@example.com). CornerStone is not able to sponsor employees who would require a visa to work in the U.S.