Government Affairs and Outreach Strategist
This position contributes to the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston’s outreach, partnership, and transparency with governmental constituencies in Washington, D.C. and New England.
The Government Affairs and Outreach Strategist is an important contributor to the Bank’s Corporate Communications department, helping to guide and facilitate internal and external communications efforts that promote the public sector understanding of and engagement with the goals of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston and the Federal Reserve System.
- Play a lead role in Corporate Communications’ government relations activities in the region and in D.C., including the coordination of principal-to-principal and staff-to-staff meetings.
- Plan and support public outreach efforts by Bank thought-leaders to increase transparency and public understanding and strengthen relationships around Bank activities that serve the public interest.
- Develop and manage a variety of external stakeholder relationships, to strengthen and maintain a cadence of information-sharing with public offices and other key constituencies across New England.
- Proactively identify and create linkages between Bank expertise and interested public officials and staff. Closely coordinate with key subject matter experts, senior staff, and Bank leadership to keep stakeholders informed about key priorities, initiatives, and research that advance the Bank’s public service.
- Partner closely with Communications colleagues on news releases and events, speech dissemination, and executive communications support to ensure maximum reach.
-Track and regularly report on relevant legislation and policies; manage contacts database of legislative staffers and Bank outreach.
- Participate in Federal Reserve System efforts to be responsive and informative to Congress and regional and local government offices, on behalf of Corporate Communications leadership.
This position is not responsible for the supervision of others.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration, economics, finance, or a related field.
- 3-5 years of related experience working directly with legislators and their staff.
- Deep knowledge/experience with various layers of government and third party stakeholders, including demonstrated understanding of state and national legislative processes.
- Strong analytical skills; ability to synthesize complex streams of information and interpret complex reputational issues related to government and economics.
- Strong communication skills - verbal, written and presentation. Demonstrated ability to work with various constituencies to guide competing interests along a common path. Comfortable presenting to executive-level audiences.
- Ability to represent the Reserve Bank and describe its activities and areas of emphasis with clarity, responsiveness, and integrity.
- Collaborative, works well with others, and can exist comfortably in a team environment.
- Position requires a willingness to travel 20% of the time, largely day trips to New England locations and occasional outreach in Washington D.C.
<<ONLY APPLICATIONS WITH COVER LETTERS WILL BE CONSIDERED>>
The Federal Reserve Bank of Boston is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and to provide equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or military service.
All employees assigned to this position will be subject to FBI fingerprint/ criminal background and Patriot Act/ Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) watch list checks at least once every five years.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work required of this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or skills associated with this position or the personnel so classified. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of this position, management reserves the right to revise this or any job description at its discretion at any time.