Institutional Business Development Director
Angeles is a multi-asset investment firm providing sophisticated, customized OCIO investment solutions to institutional and private wealth clients. We provide strategic leadership in crafting investment programs that advance our clients’ mission, values, and objectives. We are driven to be the most admired investment firm for our positive impact on our clients and our industry.
We embrace an intense passion for what we do, focused and undistracted in our purpose. We act with unquestionable integrity, serving as a trusted steward and long-term partner with our clients. We seek superior results, as investment success provides expanded ways for our clients to achieve their mission.
Angeles nurtures a culture of respect, integrity, and diversity, while fostering professional growth and learning. This attractive environment has contributed to the stability and collegiality of our team.
Angeles seeks a Business Development Director to help the firm scale, both in assets as well as brand, from a boutique OCIO firm to a globally recognized investment manager. The ideal candidate has proven experience in developing institutional prospects, emphasizing non-profit institutions with $100 million to $1 billion in assets under management, identifying and advancing search opportunities through all stages, and leading the firm through the finals stage to a successful “win.” These prospects typically will originate from client referrals and direct outreach. In addition, the Director will be responsible for working with selected OCIO search consultants, managing opportunities aligned with Angeles’ goals. Finally, the Director will be responsible for developing a marketing/branding strategy and managing sales support and marketing resources to execute the plan. The tasks include managing RFPs, updating collateral materials, supporting sales efforts across the firm, organizing digital and in-person events (e.g., conferences, webinars, etc.), CRM management, and distributing content across multiple platforms (e.g., website, mailings, etc.).
This is an exciting opportunity for candidates that are skilled at developing a strategic growth and marketing/branding strategy, managing and developing others, and driven to execute towards success.
Business Development – Overall, the key focus is raising new assets through new clients. Critical functions include identifying potential investors, introducing them to the full range of Angeles capabilities, and understanding their focus, timing, and degree of interest. Creating coordinated outreach campaigns, cultivating relationships, and building trust will be keys to success. In conjunction with the outreach effort, this candidate will oversee Sales Support & Marketing resources of the firm, ensuring they are effectively and efficiently deployed to advance the growth goals.
- Develop relationships with institutional asset owners, preferably non-profits in the $100 million to $1 billion range. Relationships likely sourced from client referrals coming from Investment Officers, directly, or through outreach activities.
- Maintain ongoing proactive dialogue with selective OCIO search consultants who are best aligned with Angeles’ target universe.
- Generate, qualify, and pursue Search opportunities, managing all facets of the process through to conclusion.
- Integrate the investment experts of the firm in the development of relationships and identified new business opportunities, where and when appropriate.
- Build upon Angeles’ existing industry network to expand relationships with influential people and increase awareness of Angeles and its capabilities.
- Attend select conferences and industry functions while always representing the firm in a professional and positive manner.
Sales Support & Marketing Oversight – The Director will work with our executive team and outside consultants to refine a growth and marketing/branding plan. They will then manage the sales support and marketing resources towards implementation of the plan. Tasks from the effort includes key areas, such as those noted below.
- Sales Support: An explicit goal of these activities is to materially increase the percentage of discrete sales opportunities directed by the Business Development outreach efforts that result in new client relationships.
- Support the outreach efforts to prospective investors and search consultants.
- Respond to selected inbound inquiries.
- Manage the RFP process, be sensitive to time constraints, and collaborate with others as appropriate. Work with cross-functional team members to translate client needs into proposals (RFP responses) and other customized content that differentiates our approach and expertise from the competition while being detailed, distinctive, and client-focused.
- Create/update customized materials as needed (note: regular data updates of standard materials are done by Marketing).
- Research – As needed, gather information. Understanding the identifying characteristics and preferences of potential clients is a foundational activity that requires an extremely inquisitive and organized mind.
- Define, stratify, and prioritize target market.
- Research organizations and individuals to find new opportunities.
- Keep abreast of broader industry trends, the OCIO competitive landscape, and evolving service requirements of potential clients.
- Evaluate operational issues to assess competitiveness and recommend enhancements.
- Marketing: These are key tasks to develop and manage the content, brand, and events of the firm which contribute to the growth efforts of the firm.
- Oversee the firm’s digital platforms, such as website and social media, to ensure the distribution of Angeles content.
- Participate in planning and organizing events, whether digital (e.g., webinars, videos) or in-person (e.g., luncheons, regional gatherings).
- Assist in the oversight of content development (e.g., white papers, blogs), who the development is assigned to, manage deadlines, ensure compliance review, “packaging” for distribution, and then execution of distribution.
- Maintain digital and collateral materials (e.g., quarterly data updates).
- Become CRM power users, ensuring the system is appropriately maintained across the firm.
- Branding: Consistently uphold the firm’s corporate image and ensure consistent branding, messaging, and narrative pertaining to promotional materials, services, and events.
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues across functional areas, including research, client service, compliance, reporting, and administration.
- Support the planning, preparation and implementation of events for current and prospective investors.
- Develop and effectively manage the assigned budget.
- Work on ad-hoc projects as needed
- Proven success in raising new business through institutional relationships, preferably non-profits.
- Minimum of 10 years experience developing institutional relationships, including search consultants. OCIO experience a strong advantage.
- Undergraduate degree from a leading educational institution – additional credentials such as an MBA, CFA, or CAIA preferred
- Ability to establish rapport with and influence senior decision makers at non-profit organizations.
- Strong communication and presentation skills coupled with the ability to project a professional demeanor, self-confidence, and gravitas.
- Strong written skills.
- Deep knowledge of multi-asset class investing and the ability to act as proxy for Investment Officers in discussing investment strategies, the rationale behind portfolio decisions, and performance results.
- A sophisticated understanding of investors’ needs, objectives, and investment priorities.
- Demonstrated initiative, independence, and adaptability coupled with a collaborative and collegial working style.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect the ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks with acute attention to accuracy detail.
- Experience in managing others.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Previous experience in configuring, implementing, and using Salesforce or comparable CRM system.
- Impeccable ethics and respect for client confidentiality.
- Comfort working in a flat, non-bureaucratic organizational structure.
- Desire to work and live in Los Angeles or New York, with a commitment to extensive travel (particularly as COVID restrictions ease).
The successful candidate will be offered an attractive compensation package including a competitive base salary plus a discretionary performance-based bonus, commensurate with experience and accomplishments.
Interested parties should send a resume and cover letter outlining how you meet the requirements stated herein to BD@angelesinvestments.com.