International Research Associate
We are value investors. In constructing portfolios for our clients, we seek out companies that we believe are trading in the market at significant discounts to their underlying value. We believe in the importance of intensive, fundamental research. Our International Research team evaluates companies on the basis of their fundamental characteristics and we do that based on a disciplined screening process. At Harris Associates, we are just as focused on our clients as we are our investment philosophy. We’re proud of our client service and our long-term investment results.
Position Summary: This position is responsible for conducting investment research of international companies, both under the guidance of Research Analysts and independently. Reporting to the Director of International Research, the Associate will cover multiple sectors and asset classes. The Associate will be involved in all aspects of the research process including: evaluating business models and industry structures, assessing company management, analyzing financial statements, and estimating intrinsic value of investment opportunities. An expertise in accounting and valuation, a sound understanding of value investing, and an ability to clearly and comprehensively communicate investment analysis are key in this role.
The International Research Associate will work alongside our Analysts and Portfolio Managers in the investment process and will be responsible for helping Analysts follow existing investments and generating new ideas. This position will work in a team environment and offer analytical support consistent with the company’s investment philosophy and process.
Key Responsibilities: The duties and responsibilities of this position generally include, but may not be limited to those identified below, and are subject to change from time to time at the direction of Firm management:
- Use valuation models to conduct detailed financial analysis of investment opportunities
- Perform in depth company analysis that is aimed at qualitatively evaluating these investment opportunities (i.e. competitive advantages, risks to business, etc.)
- Meet with company management teams and accurately evaluate their quality and capabilities
- Complete thorough valuation analysis to estimate the intrinsic value of potential investments
- Produce written materials and valuation models which succinctly explain investment conclusions and the rationale for these conclusions
- Develop a strong understanding of the Harris investment philosophy and process, and add value through thoughtful comments, questions and discussions
- Effective communication skills
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field, MBA preferred
- Experience: 1+ year of related work experience
- Other Required Skills, Knowledge, or Abilities: Must be knowledgeable and passionate about value investing; must be an intellectually curious person and an independent thinker; must possess excellent accounting and valuation skills along with excellent attention to detail; must have experience in Microsoft Excel; strong written and oral communication skills, CFA charter holder preferred
Click here to apply.
Harris Associates Confidential
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement:
At Harris Associates L.P. we are committed to providing an inclusive environment of mutual respect and fairness where equal employment opportunities are available to all qualified applicants and employees. We base our employment decisions on merit, experience, potential, and business need. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.