POSITION: Investment Analyst
ORGANIZATION: Michigan State University Foundation
LOCATION: East Lansing, Michigan
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Executive Director/Director of Finance
The Michigan State University Foundation (MSU Foundation) is a private, non-profit research foundation associated with Michigan State University (MSU), the premier land grant university in the nation. The MSU Foundation was formed in 1973 is focused on helping MSU achieve its objectives around economic development through the commercialization of intellectual property created by its faculty, staff, and students. MSU is among the top 100 research institutes in the world with expenditures exceeding $700M annually.
The MSU Foundation manages a $400 million endowment, built from decades of licensing revenue derived from MSU intellectual property. In addition to providing over $10 million in research funding to MSU annually, the MSU Foundation operates four subsidiary organizations focused on technology commercialization and economic development. These four organizations - Spartan Innovations, Red Cedar Ventures, Michigan Rise Pre-Seed Fund III and University Corporate Research Park - are key partners in the Michigan State University Innovation Center along with MSU Business Connect and MSU Technologies.
MSU Technologies identifies, protects, markets and licenses intellectual property created by MSU faculty researchers. Spartan Innovations is a venture development organization that focuses on MSU intellectual property best commercialized via a new start-up company. Red Cedar Ventures and Michigan Rise Pre-Seed Fund III are pre-seed funds that provides early and follow on capital for start-up companies and UCRP is a real estate development organization that oversees the MSU Research Parks including incubator facilities and over 125,000 square feet of office space populated by new start-up companies and existing corporate partners via MSU Business Connect.
The MSU Foundation looks to hire an Investment Analyst to work closely with the Executive Director, Director of Finance, and Chair of the MSU Foundation’s Investment Committee to assist with the management of the investment portfolio.
ABOUT THE INVESTMENT PORTFOLIO
The MSU Foundation’s portfolio is created from decades of licensing revenue derived from licensed intellectual property. It is not the main endowment of Michigan State University, rather it is a flexible and sustainable resource that creates the margin of excellence for Michigan State as a research organization.
As a flexible resource, the MSU Foundation must be prepared to provide financial support at higher than sustainable expenditure levels in response to extraordinary circumstances that may face the University. As a sustainable resource, the MSU Foundation carries an obligation to invest and grow its assets to ensure benefits to this and future generations of MSU students, faculty, and staff.
The Board of Directors of the MSU Foundation is responsible for making decisions that govern all aspects of the MSU Foundation and its investments are overseen by the MSU Foundation Investment Committee to oversee the portfolio.
The Investment Committee sets investment objectives and performance measurement standards and has the responsibility to oversee the investment management of the Fund, Endowment, and Restricted Funds on its behalf. The Investment Committee has the responsibility to ensure that the assets of the MSU Foundation are managed in a manner that is consistent with the policies and objectives of each respective pool of capital.
The portfolio is generally segmented into four main categories including Global Public Equities, Hedge Funds and Fixed Income, Private Equity and Venture Capital and Program Investments. Together, the Investment Committee and MSU Foundation leadership manage several service providers to assist within the main categories and direct relationships with investment managers to perform diligence, asset allocation, manager selection and reporting.
The Investment Analyst will work closely with the Executive Director, Director of Finance and Chair of the Investment Committee in all aspects of the investment portfolio management and reporting. From monitoring the portfolio positions, preparing, and presenting performance reports, reviewing contracts and fees for managers, capital calls, and performing analysis, the Investment Analyst will have hands on exposure to helping oversee this important resource.
The Investment Analyst will be responsible for collecting and managing performance and market data used for reporting on portfolio performance.
In this role, the Investment Analyst is expected to:
• Work collaboratively with the MSU Foundation Board of Directors, the MSU Foundation Investment Committee, the MSU Foundation Executive Director and Director of Finance.
• Work collaboratively with the Office of the Chief Investment Officer of Michigan State University, investment managers, service providers and custodial banks
• Compile investment materials for quarterly board meetings with investment committee
• Manage programs based on scope of work for new initiatives
• Gather and analyze data, facilitate meetings, and produce reports as required
• Conduct quantitative analysis to support efforts
• Manage Key Performance Indicators by capturing data and reporting on a timely basis
• Identify opportunities to improve quality of reporting and metrics
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The candidate will have served as an investment or finance analyst with experience in assisting in managing investment portfolios, evaluating strategies, assessing portfolio performance, coordinating resources, and reporting. The candidate should be very familiar with investment concepts, asset allocations, and have experience using a variety of tools and data sources and experience in a foundation, pension, or endowment.
Critical competencies and experiences:
• A College or University degree is required
• Strong analytical skills and ability to deal with large amounts of data with attention to detail
• Strong quantitative skills with expertise in financial modeling and statistical analysis
• Knowledge of investments and completion or pursuit of CFA certification
• 3+ years of experience in finance
• Team player; collaborative and flexible
• Very high proficiency with Microsoft Office and expert with Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge and experience in computational modeling, programming, statistics, and state of the art reporting tools is a big plus.
• Ability to learn new systems and databases
To apply, please construct a single PDF document that includes a cover letter and resume. Please send the document to email@example.com no later than October 9, 2020.