Investment Fellowship Program
Established in 1922, SFERS is dedicated to securing, protecting and prudently investing pension trust (the “Trust”) assets and administering a defined benefit pension fund for eligible members of the City and County of San Francisco (the “City”), San Francisco Unified School District, City College of San Francisco, and the Superior Court for the County of San Francisco. SFERS’ Retirement Board (the “Retirement Board”) and investment team oversee the management of over $20 billion in Trust assets in global public equities, fixed income and alternative investments.
The San Francisco Employees’ Retirement System is dedicated to securing, protecting and prudently investing the pension trust assets, administering mandated benefits programs, and providing promised benefits to the active and retired members of the City and County of San Francisco.
San Francisco Employees' Retirement System (SFERS) is seeking a talented, highly motivated fellow who have demonstrated significant academic achievement, and an interest in gaining invaluable knowledge and experience in assisting our Senior Portfolio Managers and Security Analysts with the on-going management of SFERS’ investing efforts in the Global Public Equity, Fixed Income, and Private Credit asset classes (approximately $12 Billion) and support the development of SFERS’ ESG policies and practices.
Essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Assist the internal process for monitoring existing and potential investments, including meeting notes, capital calls, distributions, and quarterly reports.
- Liaise with external consultants and custodian to ensure the accurate reporting of portfolio investments.
- Assist in the evaluation of investment opportunities, including meeting with investment managers, conducting reference checks, investment modeling, and performing other qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Assist with the preparation of detailed investment memoranda for SFERS’ Investment Board.
- Support on-going monitoring and portfolio management efforts including the development and generation of manager analytics, portfolio characteristic reports, and compliance reports.
- Conduct ad hoc analysis and research.
- Perform administrative duties related to custody, legal, compliance and other portfolio initiatives.
- Assist in the development of requests for proposals, vendor evaluation, and recommendations regarding tools and/or systems.
- Investment Fellows must be enrolled in an accredited college undergraduate or graduate degree program in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Engineering, Finance, Statistics, or closely related field; and
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
Temporary Exempt – This position is exempt from Civil Service rules pursuant to San Francisco
Charter Section 10.104- 18 and serves at the discretion of Appointing Officer.
How To Apply:
Interested applicants must submit a letter of interest, resume, and transcripts to Grace Tam via email at Grace.Tam@sfgov.org.