The County of San Diego's Office of the Treasurer-Tax Collector invites qualified individuals to apply for the position of:
The Investment Officer reports to the Chief Investment Officer and is an integral part of the Treasury Investments Division, with significant responsibility for coordinating the investments of the County, special
districts, school districts and other local public entities. Duties include but are not limited to:
• Research, monitor and analyze investment credits. Prepare and update credit reports and present to the
• Study economic and financial trends and market conditions for investment opportunities in fixed-income securities consistent with the County’s investment policy
• Perform portfolio analysis and prepare periodic performance reports for the County investment portfolio
• Coordinate with the Treasury accounting group on cash flow analysis and trade settlements
• Monitor and maintain the investment portfolio’s AAA ratings, including monthly holdings updates and
annual presentations to rating agencies
• Compile data and prepare a variety of analytical and marketing presentations to pool participants,
rating agencies and other constituents
• Assist with formulation and execution of investment strategies, policies and asset allocation for the
County Investment Pool
• Help prepare investment related requests for proposals and contracts
• Gather and analyze data using a variety of computer based analytical tools
• Negotiate the purchase and sale of securities
• Perform other investment related duties as assigned
IDEAL CANDIDATE: Top candidates will possess a bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration, Finance, Economics, or a related field, along with at least three years of professional experience in fixed-income research or investment/treasury management. A solid understanding of investment principles and practices relative to fixed income securities are required. Proficiency using Microsoft Office and Bloomberg are essential. Experience in fundamental banking, and securities trading concepts, evaluating and interpreting credit, economic and financial information, and formulating and implementing investment strategies to ensure preservation of principal are required.
The Investment Officer must have the ability to build effective working relationships with coworkers, banking and investment officers in the financial community, major credit rating agencies, other public agencies and government officials. The Investment Officer must possess strong written communication and organizational skills and be able to provide excellent customer service. A working knowledge of California State Codes as they pertain to the investment of public funds, and debt issuance are preferred. The ideal candidate will have a track record of innovation, taking initiative, and creative approaches to problem solving.
The ideal candidate will have experience in fixed income securities; municipal finance, including bond issuance, investment banking, under-writing, and financial advisory; and will demonstrate independence, initiative, and exceptional organizational and public relations skills. Experience performing investment analysis, investment accounting, risk management or other investment related duties for a public entity or private institution, such as a bank, investment management firm,
insurance company, pension fund, endowment, trust or a securities dealer is highly desirable.
A master’s degree in Business or Public Administration, Finance, Economics or a related field is preferred. Possession of a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation is also highly desirable.
Complete the online application at www.sandiegocounty.gov/hr;
select the Current Job Postings link, Job Number 23028606U.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.