Investment Officer III
California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) is a global institutional investor and the nation’s largest public pension fund, with assets of approximately $380.93 billion as of September 5, 2019. Headquartered in downtown Sacramento, CalPERS is situated in close proximity to the Napa Valley, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, and other desirable destinations in California. Our people are deeply committed to our core values and their decisions and actions are guided by our investment beliefs.
If you thrive in a fast paced, challenging and rewarding environment where diversity in perspective and experience is valued, this may be the right opportunity for you. Click here to see what it’s like to work in the CalPERS Investment Office.
Job Description and Duties:
Our Global Equity program is currently seeking an Investment Officer III to assist with the corporate governance program’s day-to-day operations of proxy voting, corporate engagement and shareowner campaigns in assigned sectors, industries and/or geographies and drive our CalPERS mission.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the day-to-day proxy vote execution and delivery, individual company proxy analysis, review of portfolio company governing documents (charter, by-laws, and governance guidelines), economic proxy vote review (governance and security analysis), and the monitoring of specific companies’ governance progress for multi-year periods.
- Assist the AIM to lead and execute on CalPERS’s strategic and core ESG initiatives as directed by the Investment Director (ID), including the drafting of reports, letters and presentations, and the conducting of research.
- Assist the AIM to develop, lead and implement shareholder initiatives, including coordination of research and engagement with external partners such as institutional shareholders, proxy advisory firms and the broader ESG investment community.
- Undergraduate degree in finance, economics, or another applicable technical field
- Investment background, experience, and acumen, with direct responsibility for one or more functions in the investment management chain (research, portfolio construction,portfolio management, or other), with an emphasis on equity markets
- A working knowledge of corporate governance, specifically relating to proxy voting andcorporate engagement
- Ability to independently determine priorities, plan, organizes, and follow-through on assignments while providing consistent top-quality output
- Ability to demonstrate, with in-depth, evidence-based research, how ESG factors can influence investment risks and returns of an equity portfolio
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience driving change
- Demonstrated track record of establishing and maintaining positive relationships with employees and broad range of internal and external business partners
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as polished presentation skills
- Creative, critical thinker, analytical, organized, ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated experience of undertaking desk research, understanding business models and drivers, and delivering well-written research reports.
- A comfort and appreciation for operating in a team and consensus driven environment is a key aspect underlying success in the CalPERS environment.
- A high degree of initiative, professionalism, confidentiality, and able to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Be flexible in adapting to changes in priorities, assignments, and other interruptions which may impact pre-established timelines and courses of action.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, attention to detail, and organizational skills.
Apply Here: https://jobs.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=172188