Investment Officer III – Innovative Strategies
- Sourcing investment strategies with attractive long-term risk-adjusted returns for the CalSTRS portfolio that are not part of the traditional asset classes currently used by the Investment Committee.
- Conducting initial and ongoing due diligence and on-site visits with external investment managers.
- Sourcing new multi-asset class strategies and private credit opportunities, which may include seeding new strategies, developing co-investment strategies, developing joint ventures with external managers, and joining syndicates of institutional investors on a direct investment.
- Serving as a lead to mentor to investment staff, including but not limited to providing oversight to operational duties, providing guidance on improving investment analysis skills, and assisting with development of project management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, business, or a related field
- CAIA or CFA Designation preferred
- Knowledge of investment industry principles and practices across multi-asset classes, primarily private asset investments
- Experience evaluating private equity or private credit co-investment or direct investment opportunities
- Experience sourcing, developing, or implementing investment strategies
- Experience conducting initial or ongoing due diligence
- Experience performing private market attribution analysis
- Investment management experience with a financial institution, pension fund, endowment, or foundation
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong quantitative analytical ability
- Ability to analyze various data points and understand how they work together to produce larger-scale effects
- Ability to organize research, summarize and convey complex concepts in a consistent, sensible, and approachable manner without loss of technical integrity
- Ability to promote cross-functional collaboration and communication in support of Investments Branch goals
- Ability to present information clearly, both orally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and as part of a team to support team, unit, and Investments Branch goals
CalSTRS offers a competitive pay schedule and a work-life-balance for all its employees. The State of California provides comprehensive benefits packages determined by the employee’s bargaining unit and conditions of employment. Some benefits include:
- Alternative work schedules
- Flexible work hours
- Remote work options
- Medical benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance
- Paid holidays and a defined benefit retirement program
- More than four weeks of vacation/sick leave for leaders
- More than three weeks of vacation/sick leave for staff
- Health insurance in retirement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Loan forgiveness under the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
For the latest information on the benefits offered by the state of California, explore the Health Benefits Summary provided by CalHR.