Investment Team, Manager Selection (Public Portfolio)
Investment Team, Manager Selection (Public Portfolio)
This professional will be a core member of Investure’s Investment Team focusing on Manager Selection and will work to identify, evaluate, select, structure, and monitor investments globally across a range of asset classes and opportunity sets focusing on public market strategies. Investure operates with a long-term, ownership-oriented, fundamental investment philosophy, and this person will contribute to the execution of that philosophy through a combination of (i) creating and sourcing investment opportunities, (ii) underwriting and executing due diligence, (iii) monitoring existing investments and portfolio exposures, and (iv) contributing across the functions of the investment team and the organization.
Candidates must be innately curious, self-catalyzing, and open-minded. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong work ethic, a passion for investing, the ability to execute with a balance of creativity and discipline, and the ability to lead and network effectively. Cultural fit, humility, and maturity are imperative. This professional must be able to travel frequently even on short notice.
Based in Charlottesville, Virginia, Investure was founded in 2003 to serve as the outsourced investment office to endowments and private foundations where building a high-quality organization in-house is not economical or preferable. Managing assets of approximately $18 billion through 14 client relationships, Investure is responsible for asset allocation and manager selection in multiple asset classes including but not limited to fixed income, global public equities, and alternative investments (hedge funds and private equity). Investure is a fast-paced, high-energy culture where there is a vast opportunity for learning.
Responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Source and maintain investment manager relationships and identify/create investment opportunities:
- Build relationships outside Investure’s current network, especially in a variety of public market strategies;
- Identify and study areas of potential opportunity and/or market turbulence;
- Track and build relationships with managers and comparable organizations previously identified.
- Diligence investment managers and opportunities:
- Independently analyze markets, investment strategies, and potential investment ideas;
- Lead an investment idea from sourcing through closing and ultimate realization;
- Develop and communicate investment thesis tenets, key risks, and underpinning analyses;
- Vet a manager’s investment process and key employees;
- Analyze and decompose prior returns and track record;
- Complete diligence calls and meetings;
- Structure, model, evaluate, and negotiate term, fee, governance, and liquidity structures and/or changes in investment terms;
- Review and record all due diligence materials;
- Formulate and present investment ideas and analysis to the Investment Team and co-CIOs;
- Write investment memorandum for internal and external distribution.
- Portfolio Monitoring and Reporting:
- Track and evaluate significant portfolio developments and evolution;
- Monitor and engage with existing investment partnerships;
- Collaborate with operations and legal teams to evaluate and process legal amendments;
- Contribute to the development of client analyses, communications, and presentations as necessary;
- Assist with ad hoc investment research and investment-related projects as needed;
- Extensive travel is required.
Responsibilities and title will ultimately be commensurate with the professional’s experience and demonstrated faculties and judgment.
Education, Experience & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 3 to 5+ years of finance or investment experience required, including due diligence and underwriting experience;
- Familiarity with investment legal documentation and negotiations;
- Excellent quantitative aptitude and the ability to think abstractly;
- Able to handle confidential and sensitive information with a high degree of professionalism;
- Able to lead or support an investment process from start to finish;
- Experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse and dynamic team.
- Integrity: Demonstrates unquestioned ethics and credibility. Strives to exemplify the highest ethical standards in both work and personal lives.
- Excellence: Has exceptional work ethic. Works both hard and smart. Demonstrates continuous self-evaluation of successes and failures.
- Service: Puts others first. Illustrates mission-driven outlook and approach.
- Stewardship: Puts long-term interests above short-term goals. Focuses on the greater good.
- People: Demonstrates passion and excellent judgment. Treats others with respect, helps when and how needed, and is respectful of the needs of others.
- Teamwork: Takes a collaborative and selfless approach. Operates under the “Golden Rule”.
- Humility: Comfortable with being wrong. Seeks to learn from mistakes. Willing to do anything necessary to get the job done. Treats all as equals.
Position Based Competencies
- Accuracy: Identifies and corrects mistakes; does not repeat past mistakes; demonstrates strong attention to detail.
- Problem Solving: Strong analytical skills with the ability to make recommendations and problem solve with sound judgment.
- Adaptability: Self-starter with the ability to nimbly manage competing priorities; effectively and positively embraces and manages change. Doesn’t require constant direction.
- Relationship Management: Ability to establish strong rapport across all levels and manage enterprise-level relationships.
- Process Management: Driven by results but focused on improving processes and efficiency.
- Team Orientation: Comfortable taking direction or taking the lead; receptive to feedback.
- Communication: Demonstrates clear, thoughtful, and thorough verbal and written skills; professional and diplomatic demeanor.
To apply for this position, interested parties should visit our website: www.investure.com/careers