Managing Director, Conduct Risk Oversight
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
What you’ll do:
As a direct report to the Vice President of Conduct Risk Oversight, the Director will:
- Engage and collaborate across business lines with groups such as Corporate Compliance, Corporate Legal, Corporate Risk Management, Human Resources, Employee Relations, Investor Services, Advisor Services, Charles Schwab Bank, and Retirement Plan Services on conduct-related issues, current and emerging conduct risks/topics/trends, ongoing management and evaluation of the Firm’s Conduct Risk Oversight Program and best practices;
- Interface with law enforcement (Federal, State, Local levels) as well as US and foreign regulators to discuss conduct risk and impacts to the enterprise and ongoing management and evaluation of the Firm’s Conduct Risk Oversight Program;
- Compile conduct-related management reporting information including an overall assessment of conduct at an enterprise level to Board, Board Committees, and/or Management Committees;
- Assess front line risk identification while obtaining and assessing metrics and related reporting;
- Develop training objectives and strategies for assigned areas of responsibility; develop and execute the training plan for employees throughout the Firm, including enhanced training for high risk business units;
- Leverage and enhance existing surveillance/monitoring processes and identify and implement additional surveillance/monitoring processes;
- Oversee the Corporate Complaints Management program for internal and external complaints, including complaints asserted by customers, whistleblowers, employees and possible violations of the code of business conduct and ethics;
- Collaborate with key stakeholders on internal/external complaints to assess corporate wide trends/issues, and oversee reporting and escalation protocols, to include the development of metrics and policy updates and the implementation of additional surveillance/monitoring processes, as necessary;
- Generate and review Enterprise-level reporting related to complaints management;
- Conduct FCPA/Anti-Bribery risk assessments to prioritize Firm-wide risks;
- Investigate escalated issues related to FCPA/Anti-Bribery matters and communicate results;
- Interact with management, law enforcement, US and foreign regulators in relation to investigative matters which are escalated, regulatory requirements/expectations and ongoing program enhancements;
- Maintain strict adherence to regulatory guidance regarding the FCPA/Anti-Bribery Programs as well as internal compliance standards through identification of gaps and mitigation;
- Conduct vendor and business unit monitoring, testing and review to ensure FCPA/Anti-Bribery compliance;
- Report the results of monitoring, testing and reviews to management and oversee tracking and resolution of control weaknesses and enhancement opportunities identified;
What you have:
- At least 8 years of related work experience, including at least 5 years of manager or people leader experience. Background experience preferred in the Financial Services Industry (banking and/or securities), Law Enforcement, Risk Management or Compliance.
- Strong conceptual, strategic and tactical planning and policy development and communication skills and effective establishment of and commitment to business goals.
- Demonstrated success in transforming programs in a highly collaborative environment to influence compliance and controls while building strong internal and external partnerships, and providing coaching and guidance to varied stakeholders.
- Proven ability to find a balance in developing programs effectively meeting potentially differing regulatory requirements and expectations while being workable for business partners.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze issues and develop plans on a systemic level, thinking through potential connections and impact across complex entities to develop strategic roadmaps to achieve long term vision through short term deliverables.
- Results-oriented, able to quickly sort through information and develop concise and clear strategies and solutions.
- Experience utilizing a risk based approach to prioritize risks, identify avenues to detect issues, develop investigative processes to resolve issues and implement testing and controls to mitigate the risks.
- Demonstrated ability to act decisively in making risk-based, informed decisions in response to a critical regulatory and/or criminal investigations environment.
- Advanced investigative, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively and quickly build relationships and establish trust, respect, consensus and confidence.
- Experience consulting with all levels of management and working collaboratively with various groups.
- Proven success working across entities with diverse teams to develop actionable solutions and results; preferably including international components.
- Experience working in international locations and/or working within the international sector.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with all levels of an organization.
- BS/BA degree.
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law. Schwab also does not discriminate against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. At Schwab, we believe that every employee, through their diverse abilities and experiences, can contribute to our growth, innovation and client loyalty. We embrace diversity and are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability, and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, call Human Resources at 800-725-3535. We will be happy to assist you. Schwab will only share your accommodation request with those individuals who have a specific need to know. The request for an accommodation will not affect Schwab's hiring decisions. All other submissions should be performed online.