Overview of the role
You will provide investment recommendations and industry insight regarding investment attractiveness of equities and other securities in the small/mid-cap healthcare sector. You will conduct deep fundamental analysis of individual companies, focusing on factors such as: financial performance, competitive industry dynamics, technological innovation and quality of company management. You will develop detailed financial models, including revenue/profit estimates, free cash flow projections, projected returns on capital, etc. Using various valuation methodologies, you will be expected to project long-term values of stocks under coverage and make buy and sell recommendations. The successful candidate will successfully prioritize the determination of long-term value for their covered companies, seeking securities that are likely to outperform industry peers over many years.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct research independently to formulate investment recommendations on individual securities within the small/mid cap healthcare sector. Careful consideration should be given to forecasted growth, valuation, financial strength, competitive positioning, quality of financial reporting and management.
- Construct models to generate pertinent questions that need to be answered in the research process, determine critical drivers and forecast future revenue, earnings and cash flows.
- Undertake research visits/meetings to formulate and extend deep industry expertise, including contact with competitors, customers, suppliers and other relevant constituents.
- Compile and communicate research findings with Portfolio Managers through written notes, reports, oral discussions, and presentations.
- Carry out additional duties as assigned.
Has responsibility for supporting portfolios in the Value Equity franchise for the healthcare sector.
Technical skills and qualifications
- Four-year degree in finance, economics, accounting, or related field required.
- Post-graduate degree such as MBA, and CFA and/or CPA helpful.
- 5+ years of equity investment analyst experience required, preferably buy side.
- Strong stock picking skills, with a proven track record of adding new value.
- Strong modeling skills required. Need to be proficient in building and maintaining financial models.
In addition to putting clients first, acting like an owner, and succeeding as a team, the competencies for this role include:
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Strong creativity, initiative and drive.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with proven ability to communicate articulately, concisely and persuasively.
- Ability to work and make stock recommendation decisions independently and quickly as well as function effectively within a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships internally and externally.
- Commitment to going above and beyond to build the business.
Ongoing competence in the role to be assessed, in line with applicable regulatory requirements, by:
- Annual performance appraisal.
- Completion of all assigned compliance training.
At a minimum the role will require you to:
- Place the interest of Janus Henderson’s Clients first, act in accordance with TCF (Treating Customers Fairly) principles.
- Understand and follow laws and regulations applicable for your role, seeking the help of your supervising manager or Compliance if additional guidance is required.
- Understand and abide by all Janus Henderson policies applicable to your role, and seek support/guidance of the policy owner guidance when required.
- You are ultimately accountable for your actions and responsible for seeking further information on any or all of the above as necessary.
The base salary range for this position is $190,000 - $220,000. This range is estimated for this role. Actual pay may be different.