Senior Analyst, Data and Reporting – 502118
SUMMARY: Spider Management Company (“Spider Management” or “Spider”), a wholly owned affiliate of the University of Richmond (“University”) is the investment office for the University’s endowment and a select group of other endowments and foundations. Through a unique outsourced chief investment officer (OCIO) model, Spider Management has approximately $5.6 billion in assets under management from the University and other non-profits including colleges & universities, independent schools, community foundations, and cultural institutions. Spider Management is a dynamic and fast-paced investment management firm, investing a single portfolio across public equity, hedge funds, absolute return, venture capital, private equity, and real assets strategies.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Senior Analyst is responsible for shaping and delivering high-stake process improvements and data. Bridging the gap of various software products and outsourced services that support investment management, client engagement, performance/analytics, and investment accounting activities is essential, especially as information needs continually evolve, new data requirements emerge, and regulations change.
BENEFITS: Through the University of Richmond, Spider Management offers an extensive and unique benefits package that includes comprehensive health insurance, a generous 403(b) retirement plan (up to 10% employer contribution), tuition remission covering both credit and non-credit courses for eligible employees and their dependents, employee discounts, and Weinstein Wellness Center access (includes gym access, fitness classes, massage therapy), select complimentary and discounted tickets to University sporting events, in addition to countless other programs and services offered.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Senior Analyst will coordinate systems and data in order to help achieve the firm’s portfolio and client service objectives and improve processes. The Senior Analyst will also work to mitigate risk, and support the investment, investor relations, and operations teams by understanding workflows between individuals and teams.
Key responsibilities include:
- Responsible for updating and maintaining the integrity of data in performance management system which includes scrubbing and cleaning up the current data environment
- Integrate third party technology/service provider solutions that reduce dependencies on Excel and other manual processes across portfolio management, portfolio administration/accounting, CRM, and other areas of information delivery
- Focus on quality and accuracy
- Identify and evaluate process enhancement opportunities
- Serve as primary liaison with key performance and risk management systems service providers
- Manage service provider SLAs and metrics
- Foster continuous learning and maintain improvement gains
- Work closely with investment team to ensure investment data (including asset-class categorization of new and existing investments, liquidity models, commitments, unfunded amounts, etc.) are entered and maintained in performance management system.
- Update and maintain portfolio exposures across key investment profiles, sector, geography, and asset-type
- Enhance the ability to track underlying investment manager holdings (both publicly and privately held investments)
- Be the liaison with risk management systems provider(s) to ensure that quarterly/monthly performance and holdings data is sent on a timely basis
- Update and maintain Excel/VBA report suite for internal and external stakeholders
- Continue to improve reporting capabilities with a focus on automation
- Complete monthly, quarterly, and ad hoc report generation for internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to design/develop reports that provide robust analysis of the investment portfolio
- Work closely across the Investment and Investor Relations team to produce reports in a timely manner and incorporate feedback
Other Support/Project Management
- Work with Director of Operations to review new products from existing vendors, evaluate new vendors and discuss industry technology with operations peers
- Seek ways to maximize existing systems, streamline operations, and reduce errors
- Cross-train and provide backup support across mission critical functions
- Ensure consistent delivery of accurate, timely and responsive information
- Coordinate larger scale project deliverables
- Facilitate communication and training relating to new processes and systems integration
- Testing guidelines and testing support
- Ability to conceptualize and drive complex initiatives that are critical to organization’s success
- Process improvement expertise relating to investment management support and servicing functions
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues
- Risk analysis and mitigation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to read and respond to communication styles of team members and service providers
- Ability to identify and articulate enhancement opportunities i.e., convert opinions into hypotheses and test them before acting on them
- Ability to elicit collaboration and manage change - building trust, confidence, and strong working relationships across the firm
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience preferred
- Operational, portfolio accounting/performance reporting, information delivery skill sets preferred
- Experience with investment management workflows and performance management systems preferred
- Knowledge of portfolio analytics for public and private investments preferred
- Knowledge of alternative investment asset classes Proficient using macros and VBA
- Experience with SQL, Tableau, R, or Python a plus
- Experience with Solovis a plus
- Full-time, exempt position
- Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; 7.75 hrs./day; 38.75 hrs./week
The University of Richmond requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. The University allows exemptions to this requirement for religious, medical and strong personal conviction reasons. All newly hired employees must report their status within the first two weeks of employment.
At the University of Richmond, we’re creative, inclusive, and determined. We’re Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There’s only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE