Senior Investment Analyst, Real Assets
Senior Investment Analyst, Real Assets
University of California Office of the President
Requisition Number: 20190020
Appointment Type: Staff - Career
Personnel Program: MSP
Work Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
Percentage of Time: 100
Organizational Area: Office of the Chief Investment Officer
Location: Oakland, CA
Posting Salary: Commensurate with experience
The leadership of the Office of the Chief Investment Officer (UC Investments) is responsible for the oversight and management of various asset classes by creating and monitoring relationships with new and existing managers, evaluating and selecting new external managers, and creating risk and investment guidelines for external managers. The Senior Investment Analyst plays an important role in the implementation of the tasks associated with the goals, responsibilities, and successful outcomes for the office. As a member of a specific asset class group, the Senior Investment Analyst will support the selection, evaluation, and ongoing assessment of external managers in the Real Assets portfolio.
In consultation with the Managing Director and Real Assets Team, the Senior Investment Analyst will assist in the recommendation of fund managers, secondaries, co-investments, direct investments, and special situations including maintaining an investment pipeline. Assist in the selection, evaluation, and ongoing assessment of these investments. The Senior Investment Analyst will be assigned a group of funds and / or co-investments to monitor. The Senior Investment Analyst will also perform related research, assist in maintaining industry dashboards and models, work with the Real Assets Team to achieve the best risk adjusted returns, prepare and oversee the preparation of reports and presentations.
UC Investments is a small team that believes strongly in collaboration. In addition to supporting the Real Assets team, the Senior Investment Analyst will also collaborate with colleagues across our Private Markets teams (e.g. Absolute Return, Private Equity, and Real Estate).
Special Conditions of Employment:
Travel outside of normal business hours
Other Special Conditions of Employment:
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this critical position.
Job Close Date:
Duty 1: - Support due diligence on prospective investments from beginning to end including: assessing the investment strategy, management team, investment risks, portfolio valuations, reference calls, etc.
- Deliver high quality finished work product in a timely fashion.
- Provide fundamental analysis and research as part of the due diligence and will clearly articulate findings to the Real Assets Team in a collaborative fashion.
- Support evaluation of co-investment opportunities with a particular focus on quantitative analysis and industry research. Ideal candidate will have strong financial modeling skills and fluency in understanding financial statements and LBO models. Ability to quickly and accurately assess the risks and merits of an opportunity is essential.
- Write clear and concise investment analysis and formal recommendations based on due diligence.
- Support legal negotiations and fund/co-investment closings to ensure the Regent's policies are adhered to in the process of negotiating legal documents.
- Be an important contributor to Real Assets team discussions on merits and risks of an investment. Bring investment ideas and or opportunities to the Real Assets team for discussion and review.
- Maintain active involvement with assigned Real Assets relationships. This includes attending annual meetings, having at least one touch point each quarter with each Manager, written documentation of annual meetings, reviewing quarterly financial statements and understanding any significant valuation changes or policy changes. Attend additional annual meetings on behalf of the Real Assets team as needed and be able to speak in depth about each assigned relationship and investment.
- Represent the University of California on Advisory Boards and provide comprehensive industry feedback and sound guidance to the General Partners as necessary.
- Contribute to hold/sell recommendation for public stock distributions from Real Assets funds as necessary. Conduct appropriate research and analysis to support recommendations.
- Prepare and maintain standardized investment reports on fund managers in the portfolios, as well as those under consideration, and make recommendations for decision-making purposes.
-Assist in maintaining an active pipeline of investments for Real Assets.
Function:Policy Analysis & Reporting
Duty 2: - Provide ongoing research coverage of designated sub-sectors of the Real Assets market (e.g. Energy Infrastructure or Agriculture) to identify industry trends and market intelligence and communicate the findings of such insights to the Real Assets Team.
- Conduct fundamental research and analysis in the due diligence process to identify and monitor the performance of fund managers and co-investments.
- Support due diligence within the research process on investments under consideration.
-Assist in developing and maintaining industry focused monitors and dashboards for the various Real Asset industries and sectors.
- Conduct research and analysis within the due diligence process to identify, evaluate, negotiate, and monitor the performance of the asset class.
- Support the Limited Partnership Agreement review and ensure all aspects of closing a fund are being met from a relationship and business point of view.
Duty 3: - Utilize problem-solving skills to analyze investments on a risk adjusted basis.
- Assess risk factors associated with assigned investment opportunities.
- Be able to have a dialogue with the Managing Director or Investment Officers on the overall impact of an investment on the risk / reward of the entire portfolio.
Duty 4: - Lead projects and assignments, as requested. These projects may include but are not limited to: providing performance attribution, creating presentation materials, project management and drafting memos and letters.
- Provide additional support to other asset classes such as Real Estate, Private Equity, or Absolute Return.
- Provide analysis, recommendations, and responses to potential regulation from State and Federal governments that would impact the Real Assets portfolio and its partners.
Graduate degree and/or CFA or a specialized professional designation and more than 3 years of experience within a specific asset class or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to generate both qualitative and quantitative independent analysis.
- Plan and manage projects in their entirety and ensure they are delivered on time.
- Having the judgment to ask informed and discerning questions both internally and externally to seek desired information or understanding.
- Ability to clearly articulate investment decision process and results to the Managing Director and the Real Assets Team in a timely fashion.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks with guidance from the Managing Director, Directors, or Investment Officers.
- Use good judgment when to seek advice or help from Real Assets Managing Director, Directors or Investment Officers.
- Ability to support investment decisions with incomplete information.
- Ability to develop investment forecasts and modify decisions based on updated forecasts and changing data points.
- Demonstrate a strong working knowledge of the major General Partners in Real Assets and support the creation of a tracking database.
-Demonstrate a working knowledge of Limited Partner legal agreements and key economic terms that impact the investment.
- Demonstrate original thinking.
- Demonstrate proficiency at relationship management and the ability to build and utilize extensive personal network of industry contacts.
- Strong quantitative skills that can be applied to developing original models as well as reviewing the quantitative work of other team members.
-Fluent in reading and understanding financial statements.
- Knowledge about the University's investment policies and processes; asset allocation guidelines and benchmarks.
- Knowledge of or experience in one of the Real Assets industries or sectors;
- Prior experience with the evaluation of secondary purchases of Limited Partner interests in Real Assets.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1371719
The University of California, one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in the world, is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The University of California Office of the President is the corporate headquarters to the ten campuses, five medical centers and three Department of Energy National Labs and enrolls premier students from California, the nation and the world.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.