Senior Manager, Compliance Analyst
The Sr Manager, Compliance Analyst is an individual contributor that will be part of Schwab Asset Management (SAM). The overall SAM team is passionately committed to providing solutions that help Schwab clients achieve their financial goals.
Charles Schwab Asset Management (SAM) is the asset management arm of the Charles Schwab Corporation, and has over $500 billion under management in mutual funds, ETFs, and separately managed accounts. Products managed include a wide variety of active and indexed equity, fixed income, multi-asset, asset allocation strategies, and money markets funds.
What you are good at
It is the mission of the Investment Guidelines Oversight group to actively contribute in the success of our proprietary asset management business. Our group manages and is responsible for SAM’s regulatory and internal portfolio investment guidelines for equity, multi-asset, money market, and fixed income funds, including separately managed accounts, and reviews portfolio compliance against the stated policies and regulations.
The Investment Guidelines Oversight Sr Manager is primarily responsible for supervising trading activities of portfolio managers and traders to ensure compliance with agreements and investment guidelines. The Sr Manager will also focus on supporting portfolio guidelines monitoring and testing and reporting requirements. Ability to code guidelines using financial tools such as Vestmark, Aladdin, or equivalent trade order management system, is an important aspect of the position.
This role requires partnering with functional areas within SAM including product management, sub-advisor oversight, program management, vendor oversight, compliance, legal, finance, portfolio management, investment risk and trade operations. The role will also interact with internal auditors on periodic and annual audits and other external service providers performing accounting and custody functions. A key function of this role is the continued analysis of work flow and recommendation for process improvements along with capabilities to work independently on complex problem-solving initiatives. Additionally, this person will ensure that internal controls are documented, implemented and appropriately monitored. This role includes responsibility to stay abreast of regulatory changes and relevant industry changes/trends and implementing those changes on a go forward basis. This is an individual contributor role.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Monitor and handle day to day trading activities of portfolio managers in separately managed accounts and mutual funds
- Establish/maintain relationships with SAM business partners
- Support various daily, weekly and monthly functions related to the monitoring of investment guidelines for Schwab products
- Ensure guidelines testing system is applying regulatory and internal investment guidelines tests accurately
- Coding new guidelines and improving existing investment guidelines
- Assist with variety of legal, regulatory and compliance activities
- Prepare monthly management reports, governance committee reports and fund board materials
- Assist team with streamlining existing processes and procedures as well as with special projects
What you have
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; degree in Business, Economics, or related field preferred
- At least 1-3- years’ experience within the Financial Services industry and 1-3 years’ experience within Separately Managed Accounts or Mutual Fund Operations preferred
- General understanding of 1940 Act requirements a plus
- Experience in Compliance, Research, or Investment Risk a plus
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Experience with interpreting coding languages
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance opposing priorities in adherence to strict timeframes and deadlines
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Attention to detail, accuracy and timeliness
- Experience with various on-line information resources, such as Bloomberg, preferred
- Attention to detail and organizational skills, with ability to multi-task deliverables in a fast paced environment
- Experience with fixed income and/or equity investment vehicles and their security types preferred
- Experience with trading systems, especially Charles River or BlackRock Aladdin a plus